Easy meal to bring in from home !

So far on this blog we have spoken about places to buy food on campus but have rather neglected the fact that there are days when you open up your wallet and only moths fly out, and you admit to yourself that you gotta bring something from home.

My absolute go-to meal is quesadillas! I came across the idea years ago and have been making it ever since.


**Exclaimer** I am aware that these are not traditional quesadillas by any stretch of the imagination but it's nicer to call them quesadilla's than "tortilla filled with any leftovers you have and cheese" ** 

Essentially all you need is: 
  • a couple of tortillas
  • grated cheese such as tasty cheese or mozzarella (this is basically the melty goodness that holds the whole thing together) 
  • filling, this can be anything, such as:
    • ham
    • chicken
    • leftover bolognese sauce
    • any veggies
    • literally anything you feel like, just chuck it in there 
    • some kind of sauce/liquid to help combine it all together (if needed) 
  • frying pan
  • spatula 
Personally I make my filling from: shredded chicken, capsicum, carrot, chilli and a mix of sweet chilli sauce, kecap manis (an Indonesian sweet soy sauce) and chilli sauce. These are all things that I am basically guaranteed to have in my fridge/cupboard at any given time. 

Method: 
  1. Heat frypan on low heat 
  2. Microwave/warm filling (this only really needs to be done if you're working with quite a thick filling, as I do, because it doesn't get heated through once its in the tortilla.) 
  3. Place tortilla on pan
  4. Sprinkle thin layer of cheese over surface of tortilla (lets be real, cheese is so good I pile it on there like there is no tomorrow)
  5. Once the cheese is mostly melted, spoon filling onto one half of the tortilla
  6. Fold the filling-free side over onto the filling (so its in a semi-circle shape) 
  7. Flip the whole thing over to evenly heat both sides
  8. Remove from pan
  9. Eat right there and then or slice up and put into container to take to uni
  10. Pat yourself on the back because you adulted and made your own meal (you champion) 


What is so great about this recipe (if it can even be called that) is that it is so versatile, you really can grab anything from the pantry that your heart desires and turn it into a tasty meal. My family have it at home semi-regularly and we make multiple fillings so everyone's happy; from simple ham, cheese and tomato sauce to my favourite that I described earlier. (also bonus, you don't need to worry about cutlery cos you can just use your hands to eat these bad-boys) . 

If you have any suggestions as to what you would put in your quesadilla, comment down below ! 

Thats all from me, I'm hungry so I'm gonna go make myself some quesadillas now! 
Han 😘

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mad Mex - Fresh and Flavourful Mexican that's Made to Order!

Food for when you need to get away from campus !

Ubar Pizza!